Customers and prospective users of quantum cryptography need:
- Assurance that system has certain security properties
- Compatibility with specific requirements (like audit, availability, interconnectivity)
- Investment safety (interoperability, stability, upgrade path)
- Compatible system management (monitoring, performance and fault management)
Researchers and developers need:
- Components with fixed properties
- Connectivity of components and subsystems of different origin
- Classification of information theoretical security proofs
- Analysis of key distillation protocols and cryptographic algorithms
In order to support development and research, and on the other hand the application and commercialisation of Quantum Cryptography, the SECOQC project started several activities towards the standardisation of quantum technology in general and quantum cryptography in particular.
Together with the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), a plan for installing and operating an Industry Specification Group for quantum standards (QISG) was developed. The ETSI QISG will officially be launched in Autumn 2008.
The interface, over which quantum cryptographic point-to-point links are connected to the SECOQC Quantum Back Bone network nodes is published for use by any interested parties, but especially for use by developers of quantum links.